Maharashtra has a very long and well nurtured tradition of private initiative in higher education. There are several organizations in Maharashtra, established by social reformers, educationists and others, which have made commendable contributions to the cause of education. Inspired by their work, Dr. Patangrao Kadam established Bharati Vidyapeeth in 1964 at Pune. The mission, which Bharati Vidyapeeth has defined for itself is to bring about intellectual awakening of people through the spread of education and to prepare human resources needed for all-round development, particularly economy of the country.
During the last 51 years or so, Bharati Vidyapeeth has made astonishing strides in the field of education, particularly in higher and professional education. At present, it conducts more than 180 educational units of various kinds, right from pre-primary schools to postgraduate institutions. They include 80 Colleges and Institutes of different disciplines.
In recognition of the academic excellence which the institutions of the Bharati Vidyapeeth have and in view of the potential for further growth they have, the Government of India on the recommendation of the University Grants Commission granted (under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956), the status of deemed to be University to the Institutions of Bharati Vidyapeeth on 26th April, 1996.
This University is a multi campus, multi faculty University which is now one of the largest Universities of its kind in the country having as many as 29 constituent units including 3 research institutes. It has its campuses in Pune, New Delhi, Navi Mumbai, Kolhapur, Karad, Sangli and Solapur.
The academically conducive environment and excellent infrastructural facilities available in our campuses attract the students not only from various parts of India but also from abroad. At present, the University has enrollment of more than 700 overseas students coming from 45 countries.
The University has put a premium on research. It has established three research institutes, namely :
- Interactive Research School for Health Affairs, Pune wherein research in subjects relating to health sciences with inter-disciplinary approach is undertaken,
- Research and Development Centre in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Applied Chemistry which generates high quality research with excellent impact factors and with prospects for patents and
- Yashwantrao Chavan Institute of Social Science Studies and Research which is involved in research in the areas of social sciences and humanities.
The University conducts academic programmes in, as many as, 13 faculties such as Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce, Science, Law, Medical Sciences, Dentistry, Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, Nursing, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Management Studies, Engineering and Technology and Interdisciplinary Studies. Within a short span of 19 years, the University has launched as many as 305 academic programmes including 45 at the Under Graduate Level, 103 at the Post Graduate Level, 55 at the Diploma Level, 15 Certificate Programme, 7 Fellowships, 3 M.Phil. Programmes besides Ph.D. programmes in 77 subjects.
With the advantage of the academic autonomy it enjoys, the University has introduced quite a few innovative programmes in the emerging areas such as B.Tech in Bio-Medical Engineering, M.Pharm in Biotechnology, graduate programmes in 'Music and Dance', 'Acting and Script writing' and Master's programme in Optometry and courses in Cyber Law and Corporate Law etc. It has recently introduced a Post Graduate programme in Geo-informatics and Bio-informatics.
It is a matter of pride that the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has awarded 'A Grade' to the University both in 2004 and 2011. The MHRD, Govt. of India has awarded 'A' Grade status to the University. Moreover in the recent past, the University Grants Commission has given a recognition to this University u/s 12 (B) of its Act of 1956 on the recommendations made by a committee of Experts constituted by it. Some of the constituent units have also received rich accolades from other evaluating agencies such as National Accreditation Board.
Over the years, the University has developed a very rich infrastructural facilities, such as independent spacious well structured buildings, well equipped laboratories and continuously updated libraries in all its constitutes units. The teaching faculty periodically undergoes training to enrich themselves with latest knowledge and skills in the respective disciplines.
The academic facilities and expert guidance by teachers that's provided to the students of School of Distance Education are unique.
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES OF THE UNIVERSITY
- The University has been awarded 'A' Grade by Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India.
- Accredited by the NAAC with prestigious 'A' Grade (2004) and reaccredited with 'A' Grade (2011)
- Is one of the largest Universities in terms of Constituent Units established u/s 3 of the UGC Act, 1956.
- The University Grants Commission has given a recognition to this University u/s 12 (B) of its Act of 1956.
- Its three Constituent Units have also obtained ISO 2001-2009 certification.
- Has organized several international and national levels Seminars, Conferences etc.
- Is a University which academically and intellectually very productive whose faculty members have very laudable record of research publications and patents.
- Has digitalized libraries of its constituent units.
- Has created excellent infrastructure for all its constituent units, including well structured spacious buildings continuously updated laboratories and libraries and hostels with all the necessary amenities and facilities.
- Is proud of its Institute of Environment Science and Research Education, which has been identified as a nodal agency by the Government of India for its programmes of 'biodiversity and environmental products'.
- Has established Women's Creativity Development Centre to undertake researches regarding women, particularly, those of disadvantage groups and to promote creativity among them.